Monday 19 May 2014

Journeyman


I learnt (or relearnt) a lot yesterday. About running and travelling and having a goal.

I had to go and see Mum and Dad. It was a beautiful day and I didn't relish the prospect of getting stuck in New Forest holiday traffic. So I decided to let the train, and my legs, take the strain. My plan was to take the train to Brockenhurst and run the 10 miles to Mum and Dad's from there. Then in the evening, run the 7 miles back to Lymington to get the train home.

I got off the train at Brockenhurst relaxed and looking forward to the run. The sun shone as I pulled on my rucksack (about 5kg) and jogged out of the station and through streets and then roads and then lanes out into the New Forest. The run had a lovely mixture of terrain - open moorland, muddy tracks, quiet country lanes, fields and footpaths. Weaving my way through the countryside, the running felt natural and easy.

I discovered how different it felt to be actually going somewhere, as opposed to just being out for a run. I was on a journey, travelling to a place for a reason. Speed wasn't as important as progress.  That feeling, and the novelty of the route, gave me a sense of continuous achievement and kept me going.



Some 90 minutes after I left Brockenhurst I started to recognise the roads at the edge of my parent's village, and I'd done the first half of my day's running.

A few hours of family time, and a good Sunday lunch, and it was time to be off again.  A quick measurement said that it was about six miles, so I set off with 75 minutes in hand. Hotter now in the afternoon sun. 

Familiar terrain this time as I have often walked the coast here, but a real deadline to meet, especially as it turned out to be seven miles not six!  Arrived at Lymington Town station sweaty and smelly with five minutes to spare, but feeling good and happy with my day's running.

High tide over the Keyhaven mud flats

Lessons 


I (re)learnt:
  • how easy it is to make the odd navigation error on open ground, when I am enjoying myself and not paying attention! 
  • that navigation takes time with a small map, and I was stopping every few minutes to check on the path.
  • that there are some places you can't run, even though there is a path on the map (one field of gorgeous deep lush grass, one extensive bog!)
  • that a split day of 10 miles, then a rest and then 7 miles is easily doable, so I may have a chance of finishing the BWT!

No comments:

Post a Comment